How to Properly Protect Your Eyes from UV RaysPosted October 15, 2022
It’s well known that any kind of UV light exposure can be detrimental to your skin if you’re not properly protecting yourself– but not many people know about the harmful effects this can also have on your eyes. The tissue that makes up our eyes are a part of the most sensitive tissues found within our bodies, therefore making it easier for severe damage to take place.
Considering the sensitivity within our eyes, it’s important to ensure your eyes are protected from any kind of UV radiation all year round, especially in those warmer months when the sun is at its strongest. Even though those months have passed and fall is in full swing, it doesn’t matter! It’s important to keep your eyes covered when spending extended periods of time out in the sun.
Let’s take a deeper dive into the effects of ultraviolet light and how you can go about properly protecting yourself.
How to Properly Protect Your Eyes from UV Rays
You’re probably thinking most of this is common knowledge, but you’d be surprised at how many individuals don’t consider these protective measures on a daily basis. If you’re continuing to allow damage to your eyes, the effects of aging and degeneration are going to creep up on you a lot earlier in life than you originally anticipated.
To protect your eyes from harmful radiation effectively, let’s take a look at what we can do to prevent any long term effects:
- This might be the most common protectant, but wear your sunglasses! Wearing protective eyewear that blocks 99-100% UVA and UVB radiation can be a life saving change you make toward your vision. Remember, even when it’s cloudy, you should wear sunglasses as UV rays typically penetrate through the clouds.
- If you work outdoors, it’s best to choose sunglass lenses that are made from polycarbonate and wrap around your face to protect from damage at all angles.
- Ask for UV-blocking contact lenses. These kinds of specialty lenses protect against UV rays and are arguably some of the best protection you can have against the sun.
- Schedule regular eye exams! Visiting with our expert team of eyecare professionals on a yearly basis will help keep your eyes healthy, secure, and up-to-date with the latest needs. It will give our doctors the opportunity to detect damage earlier rather than later.
- It’s also important you’re protecting your children as well. It’s been proven that children and babies experience 80% of all UV exposure before the age of 18.
That being said, we encourage you to enjoy the outdoors all year round! Just like sunscreen, there are ways to protect your eyes as well. With proper and consistent eye protection in place, in addition to regular eye exams, your eyes can stay healthy for the long haul. If you have questions about obtaining the best eyewear, be sure to give our office a call. We are happy to guide you in the best direction!